We are partnered with a rapidly growing general contractor, who has over 300+ years of combined experience in general contracting, construction management, design/build, renovation within commercial, retail, industrial and institutional sectors.
The basic function of the Estimator is to manage the Budget and Tender process end to end. In the case of CM projects, they ensure proactive communication with the project team. They are the lead for setting up and distributing the tender in addition to responding to RFIs and clarifications to the tender. In closing they are responsible for clarifying inclusions and exclusions, generating the final spreadsheets and getting approval for submission. In addition, they issue all purchase orders and notify the team in the case of award.
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of full cost estimates on conceptual and general tender work.
- Prepare materials, labour and equipment cost estimations necessary to successfully carry out a construction project according to proposals, plans, estimates and specifications.
- Prepare and maintain a list of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Advise on proposal procedures to follow.
- Study and analyze proposals received.
- Recommend/reject proposals and negotiate contracts.
- Establish unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors and location impacts.
- Evaluate and recommend allowances for indirect costs, design unknowns, escalation and contingency.
- Present estimates and conduct review meetings with clients.
- Participate and coordinate company risk and opportunity evaluation with clients.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Prepare estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Support other department personnel as required which may include preparing estimates for other disciplines.
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Effectively determine the bid strategies required for the company to be successful.
- Assist corporate and project management teams to determine what types of projects to bid on.
- Review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required.
- May assist in the preparation of studies, materials and methods, recommendations, and cost estimates as required.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
- High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in construction/engineering or an appropriate field is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in ICI estimation.
- Ability to read and interpret building specifications, blueprints and as-builds.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to interpret job cost reports.
- Ability to use cost-estimating software to prepare cost quotes and bids.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (excel, word, etc.)
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR an asset.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills.
- Time management skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current.
- Respect diversity - treat others with respect.
- Client service and public interaction skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision.
- Collaborative in dealing with customers, design consultants, project managers and fellow employees.
- Customer focused - respond promptly to customer needs.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with customers.
- Receptive to change - can adapt to changing circumstances.